You probably already know how much I love the Ionian islands. I’ve already been to Paxoi, Ithaki, Kefalonia and Corfu – and I have Zante and Lefkada on my travel plans.
In this colorful article, I’m welcoming you to lush and cosmopolitan Corfu, an island like no other. How come?
1. Because it’s been under venetian occupation, and this italian influence can be seen in the architecture of its Chora – a cute town that will take you back in time (and maybe on a trip to Bari too).
2. Because high-maintenance Princess Sissi chose it for her summer retreat. Corfu is therefore a greek island with a palace!
3. It’s rainy in Corfu, which means that during the summer it’s lush like a jungle. Amazing…
4. Because the Ionian blue is more emerald here and the island hosts some of the best beaches of the country.
5. For all local delicacies. Pastitsada, sofrito, mantolato and kumquat in any imaginable form are treats that can only be found here!
5+1 Because it’s family friendly! One of the best destinations for families in Greece, actually. The beaches are sandy, the service is impeccable, it fits all budgets and its capital is an ideal evening destination for families!
Want more reasons to visit Corfu? Browse through these 25 photos I took for you during my travels there and wait no longer till you book your trip to Corfu too!
When in Corfu, stay in a quaint village
Enjoy the local cuisine with a great sea view
Visit the palace of princess Sissi
Go on at least one cruise
Snap plenty of photos…
But don’t forget to take the time and rest on the beach!
* This article is sponsored by Able Holidays. The pictures are mine though, as well as the words, the thoughts, the experiences and all the love for this majestic island!